Sunday, October 19, 2008

Potters Pasture - Cows as Trail Builders

Potter's pasture teaches a rider many things, one of which is that Cows are crazy trail builders. When they decide upon a route, they stick to it regardless of how illogical.  They typically take the shortest distance between watering holes or open pasture. Which is usually straight up or down an impossibly steep hill.  Trails that have been guided by human builders are easy to spot, they follow the contour of the land, make use of natural features, and are erosion resistant.














I've been riding Potter's Pasture for about three years. Every time I arrive at the top of the first climb, I'm simply in awe of the wide open space and the sheer magnitude of trail options.  
When I first moved to the area, I heard rumors about crazy mountain-starved bikers riding cow trails to get their fix.  I asked around and learned nothing.  I began using a snow bike to ride the sandy canal near my home for lack of a better option.  An unlikely post on a MTB forum let to a contact with someone that had been riding the trails for quite a while.  A few phone calls and emails later, I was on my way to learning more about cows and their trail building tendencies.


















Here's the thing about Potter's;  These trails are narrow, rutted, rooty, wide open, surprisingly tight, and anything else you can imagine.  They are raw and constantly changing.  The elements contribute, but the cows walk where they choose.  This place is pure MTB heaven.  Don't expect manicured race trails, be prepared for trails that will test your equipment and ability to steer precisely.  Thousands of acres of pure MTB bliss just a handful miles away from I-80, hidden in the center of Nebraska.  If you think Nebraska is flat, this place will change your perspective.
    







No comments: